[Pkg-grass-general] GIS packages for Ubuntu

I have been trying recently to leverage the work of
our debian GIS project to run GIS software (grass,
mapserver, postgis, etc) on Ubuntu.  I know that we
build our packages to run on Debian SID.  I have foudn
that the majority of our packages will
not run on Ubuntu due to failed dependencies.

I have noticed that sid has some
newer and some older packages than ubuntu universe.
it seems that Ubuntu universe is some sort of snap
shot of DEbian sid.

If this is the case, collaboration
between debianGIS and Ubuntu will be more difficult
that i had originally thought. I know there was a
recent suggestion to house unbuntuGIS work on this
list.  But, I wonder, given the differences in
dependencies, Will it be necessary to create a new
UbuntuGIS project? or is there some better way for
UbuntuGIS to coexist with the already thriving
DebianGIS project?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jon