[Pkg-grass-general] Please use libtool soname versioning

Currently the libraries are versioned like libgrass_shape.6.0.cvs.so
with links. It would be great if you could switch to a soname versioning
scheme a la libtool[1]. This would solve a problem with packaging
programs that depend on the grass libs. Right now, every new release of
grass will break the gdal-grass packages dependencies. The libgrass
version should change based on changes to its interface rather than
versions of grass.

I looked into using libtool for grass and it looked like it was very
helpful to use automake to integrate it. So are there reasons grass
isn't using automake/libtool already? If using libtool isn't palatable,
can we at least adopt the versioning scheme beginning at libgrass0.0.0?

I'm trying to follow the guidelines in the Debian library packaging
guide[2].

Thanks,
Steve

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#SEC32