Re: [Pkg-grass-general] GRASS library version names

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 04:42:06PM -0500, Steve Halasz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking more about the SONAME problem. GRASS doesn't use
> libtool or automake AFAIKT so it would take some effort to add them in
> that way. But I've noticed that 6.0.0beta1 names the libraries like so:
>
> libgrass_gis.so -> libgrass_gis.6.0.0beta1.so
> libgrass_gmath.6.0.0beta1.so
>
> Perhaps it is OK for now to fake it by just using the libtool versioning
> scheme[1] instead?
>
> libgrass_gis.so -> libgrass_gis.0.0.0.so
> libgrass_gmath.0.0.0.so
>
> And then call the lib packages libgrass0 and libgrass-dev.
>
> Steve
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#SEC34

This is an upstream choice IMHO, it should reflects version compatibilities
and changes in APIs, when correctly used. Without that it's only an esthetical change.
So, currently that's indifferent. Convincing upstream to manage a proper
versioning scheme is the way to go.