Re: libgc should be updated to 8.0.6

65;6601;1cOn Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 06:50:04PM +0300, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> >How come --enable-static means the .so doesn't use symbol visibility?
> >Would it be a better idea to build twice -- once to enable symbol
> >visibility on the .so and then again to produce the .a?

> Good point. This is how CMake works — you can either request cmake
> to build shared libraries or static ones but not both. In case of
> GNU build process, the configure could be requested to build both
> static and shared libraries with just a single make invocation. In
> the Debian configuration, we pass --enable-static but
> --enable-shared option is implied, thus make builds both static and
> shared libs. Of course, we could prohibit building of both static
> and shared libs in configure, I think I will do it to avoid
> confusion, not now. But this would inevitably force the Debian libgc
> build script to be changed (to invoke configure 2 times if both
> static and shared libs are required).

This shouldn't be too hard to separate out in the package build, and I
think is probably a good idea for maintainability.

> >> Is there any restriction in the Debian policy against deletion of
> >> the exported symbols that were not exported publicly (i.e. were
> >> never mentioned in the public headers or documentation)?
> >
> >I will have to extract some of the old packages and compare the symbol
> >file ... not sure if this is the first time, or if previous uploads
> >have just dropped missing symbols on the basis they are not
> >documented?

> Comparing libgc1c2.symbols between 7.4.2 and 7.6.4: GC_finalize_now
> and GC_dirty_maintained symbols (and some others) were removed in
> 7.6.4. So, it’s not a unique case.

Thanks, I agree so we can just follow that precedent.

Since the Vcs-Git was pointing at the old anonscm bits, I've imported
everything into salsa as

 https://salsa.debian.org/debian/libgc

I've uploaded 8.0.6-1.1 built from there as a NMU to the 7-day delay
queue (https://ftp-master.debian.org/deferred.html)

Thanks,

-i