Re: libgc should be updated to 8.0.6

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 01:50:05PM +0300, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> The libgc package in sid ( https://packages.debian.org/sid/libgc-dev
> ) is at version 8.0.4, which was released in Mar 2019.

> It would be great if the package can be updated since there are
> quite many fixes as listed in its changelog

I am happy to prepare/upload an NMU for this.

One problem is that upstream change [1] appears to have removed the
exported symbols GC_next_used_block and GC_unmap_end.

Since dropping these would be backwards incompatible, we'd have to
bump this package to be libgc2 and force updates -- I don't think this
was really the intention of the change.

Do you think we could re-export these symbols for compatibility sake?
Or is this a situation where we really do need to bump the version?
LMN if filing an GitHub issue would help.

-i

[1] https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/commit/9245e1154d271b9fd69c5c6de75c6ac37f3badc4