Re: Arm ports build machines (was Re: Arch qualification for buster: call for DSA, Security, toolchain concerns)

* Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:

>  that is not a surprise to hear: the massive thrashing caused by the
> linker phase not being possible to be RAM-resident will be absolutely
> hammering the drives beyond reasonable wear-and-tear limits.  which is
> why i'm recommending people try "-Wl,--no-keep-memory".

Note that ld will sometimes stuff everything into a single RWX segment
as a result, which is not desirable.

Unfortunately, without significant investment into historic linker
technologies (with external sorting and that kind of stuff), I don't
think it is viable to build 32-bit software natively in the near
future.  Maybe next year only a few packages will need exceptions, but
the number will grow with each month.  Building on 64-bit kernels will
delay the inevitable because more address space is available to user
space, but that's probably 12 to 18 month extended life-time for
native building.