Re: nvidia-cuda-toolkit: nvcc needs to pass -fpie to compiler

Lumin, on sam. 13 mai 2017 05:59:24 +0000, wrote:
> > This was documented in NEWS.Debian.gz. Having to use "--compiler-options
> > -fPIC" was however not documented in NEW.Debian.gz, at least that should
> > be done.
>
> Well, what do you think we can to to deal with this bug?

I Cc-ed gcc, llvm and binutils maintainers to get their opinion on this
:)

The problem is the move of some parts of the toolchain to pie by
default, without updating the whole toolchain. Whenever not using only
gcc for building object files, the issue shows up. nvcc is only an
example of this.

> And what can we do from the CUDA packaging side except for a new
> NEWS/README.Debian section?
>
> I plan to point out these in the new NEWS/README.Debian section:
> (1) Try to compile the whole CUDA application with clang-3.8
> (2) Append the PIE/PIC flags to compiler arguments, reference: [1]
>
> [1] http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Code-Gen-Options.html

That's probably a reasonable thing to do on that side, yes.

Samuel