patch submissions for cross builds, new configurations, and other stuff not enabled by default

Hi,

with the recent submission of #780640, which held my busy for a day and a half,
I'd like to propose some minimum standards for patch submissions.  These kind of
patches eat a lot of my time, and I'd like to keep this time as my own free
time.  So for patches this large, or modifying bits for cross builds,

 - please test this with a native build for the target, and post
   a pointer to a log for the successful build.

 - please test this with a cross build enabling the target libraries.
   this is still difficult, I'm still working on the cross-toolchain-base
   packages. however help on these would be welcome.

 - please split your patch in independent chunks, or post separate patches
   for independent patches.

 - please document patches.  state what they do. state what they
   don't do. please state what is not updated. please state what
   is left out or is dropped.

 - an install test would be welcome. Yes, by integrating parts of
   #780640 I didn't do that, and had an unexpected error in the
   packaging.

Please realize that we want to maintain the toolchain for the Debian
distribution, not for some pet target or cross configuration.

Thanks, Matthias

PS: I'll close #780640 with the comment to resubmit missing bits with new bug
reports, and patches based on 5-20150329-1.