Re: Bug#729876: aghermann: FTBFS on ia64, powerpc, s390x, sparc, ppc64, sh4: configure: error: g++ >= 4.7 is required
- To: andrei zavada <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com, Yaroslav Halchenko <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian GCC Maintainers <email@example.com>, Matthias Klose <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Bug#729876: aghermann: FTBFS on ia64, powerpc, s390x, sparc, ppc64, sh4: configure: error: g++ >= 4.7 is required
- From: Hiroyuki Yamamoto <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:50:51 +0900
- Message-id: <[🔎] 528B428B.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20131119020422.4e96fe23@ra>
- References: <528A2569.email@example.com> <20131119020422.4e96fe23@ra>
Thanks for a patch , Andrei.
However, with considering of happiness for all package maintainers,
maybe it is good that gcc-defaults shifts using unified version of gcc on all architectures,
e.g. dealing with c++11.
Matthias Klose posted a plan of updating default gcc,
but since applied only some architectures, there is no change recently.
Unfortunately, on sh4, gcc-4.8 has not succeeded to build yet,
but the other architectures have ever succeeded.
A75D B285 7050 4BF9 AEDA 91AC 3A10 59C6 5203 04DC
andrei zavada wrote:
> I added to debian/rules a small amount of bash code which selects the best
> available g++ (trying first g++-4.8 then 4.7, both of which are known to
> work) and assigns it to CXX. After that, ./configure will use $CXX (not
> whatever g++ happens to be), and therein lieth the fix.
> This is the relevant part:
> for v in 4.8 4.7; do \
> g=`which g++-$$v`; \
> if test -n "$$g"; then \
> $$g >/dev/null 2>&1; \
> if [ $$? != 127 ]; then export CXX=`which g++-$$v`; break; fi \
> fi \
> done; \
> dh $@ --with autoreconf
> The check for exit code 127 is required to detect the case of /usr/bin/g++-4.x
> existing (as a symlink) without g++-4.x actually installed. This is actually
> the case with g++-4.9:
> $ g++-4.9
> /usr/bin/g++-4.9: not found (maybe g++-4.9 is not installed?)
> $ echo $?
> Unless anyone suggests a better solution, I would ask my trusty sponsor
> Yaroslav to proceed with upload from
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:34:17 +0900
> Hiroyuki Yamamoto <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Source: aghermann
>> Version: 1.0-1
>> Severity: serious
>> Justification: FTBFS by unsatisfiable build-dependency
>> aghermann cannot be built on ia64, powerpc, s390x, sparc, ppc64, sh4,
>> which use gcc-4.6 designated by gcc-defaults_1.123,
>> so, maybe on alpha, too.
>>> configure: error: g++ >= 4.7 is required to build aghermann as we must
>>> use -std=c++11 features your compiler doesn't seem to support checking
>>> whether g++ has all required c++11 features... no
>> On powerpcspe, its sbuild may not be maintained as clean-build environment,
>> and all of g++-4.6, g++-4.7, g++-4.8 are installed, so building succeeded.