Re: GCC version 4.8.3 on Debian

On 16 October 2013 19:22, Breno Leitao <brenohl@br.ibm.com> wrote:
> HI GCC maintainers,
>
> I found that GCC 4.8.3 was released today on GNU website. I am willing to use this
> newer version on some of my machines.
> I am curious on how long it usually takes, on average, to have a newer GCC release
> on Debian, after it was officially released.

gcc-4.8 package applies updates in patch form from the stable release
branch. If you look at the changelog, you will see the patch level:

* Update to SVN 20130904 (r202243) from the gcc-4_8-branch.

So current 4.8 packages are missing things since that up to tip from
gcc-4_8-branch (unless otherwise applied on top of updates)

See: http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs/main/g/gcc-4.8/unstable_changelog

So it shouldn't be that different from 4.8.3. gcc packages are updated
fairly regularly.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.