Re: GCC and Built-Using

On 01/04/2013 03:05 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 04.01.2013 14:54, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
>> Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> writes:
>>> I won't change this. Please feel free to open a bug against debian-policy and
>>> subscribe me. The current wording of 7.8 in the footnote 56 suggests that the
>>> exact binary version is recorded, which is not needed for the gnat-*, gcj-*
>>> builds, and seems to be over engineered.
>>
>> Built-Using records source versions used, not binary versions.  It needs
>> to be an exact version to tell dak which version of the referenced
>> source package it should keep.  (And that's the only use of this field,
>> it does not affect installations or anything else.)
>
> but it's not relevant which version is used. The only thing used is the upstream
> tarball, which doesn't change.

So you agree that we should make sure the .orig.tar.gz of gcc-XY X.Y.Z
should not be removed as long as gnat-XY built using gcc-XY X.Y.Z is
still in the archive? Even when gcc-XY X.Y.Z+1 was already uploaded?

If yes, then the only way to have the archive do this is currently the
Built-Using field: dak dominate will remove the old gcc-XY X.Y.Z package
as it only keeps the latest version of each package in a single suite.
Unless the old package is still present in another suite, the files for
gcc-XY X.Y.Z will then be deleted.

It might be that this means the archive will keep a bit too much as it
keeps entire source packages and not only the upstream tarball, but I
don't think that's a problem. (It might be required in other cases, eg.
when there are patches in the .debian.{tar.*,diff.gz} that are part of
the source.)

Ansgar