Re: GCC and Built-Using

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:05:46 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
Am 04.01.2013 14:54, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> writes:
I won't change this. Please feel free to open a bug against
debian-policy and subscribe me. The current wording of 7.8 in the
footnote 56 suggests that the exact binary version is recorded,
which is not needed for the gnat-*, gcj-* builds, and seems to be
over engineered.

Built-Using records source versions used, not binary versions.  It
needs to be an exact version to tell dak which version of the
referenced source package it should keep.  (And that's the only use
of this field, it does not affect installations or anything else.)

but it's not relevant which version is used. The only thing used is
the upstream tarball, which doesn't change.

How about packaging this upstream tarball (i.e. gcc-x.y-source)
independently of all other packages, such that a new upload of gcc-x.y
does not change gcc-x.y-source?  For one thing, it would avoid wasting
bandwidth re-uploading the upstream tarball with each upload of gcc-x.y.

--
Ludovic Brenta.