Re: [debian-mysql] facing upto #674267

Excerpts from Matthias Klose's message of 2012-06-20 02:46:19 -0700:

> > Matthias,
> >     Any opinion on which short term hack we should adopt? Would you like to
> > ahve a look at the code which is causing us issues?
>
> this is inline assembler, I won't look at it.  So best disable it if nobody
> wants to maintain it (and the code has comments like "won't work with compiler
> xy at opt level z").  If you still want to look at it, find out which function
> with the inline assembler causes the unexpected behaviour (modify the code to
> build just half of the functions with asm statements, then bisect until you get
> down to one function).
>
> As a side note, why isn't the package built using the system openssl? It looks
> like everybody except Debian/Ubuntu does do this.

Its been explained to me like this:

* libmysqlclient is GPL, with an exception given to things that are not
  GPL to link to it:

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

* OpenSSL is given an exception, despite being GPL incompatible

* However, now anything that links to *libmysqlclient* must also
  explicitly give OpenSSL an exception since they are effectively
  transitively accepting the OpenSSL license, which is not compatible.

With almost 150 reverse depends on libmysqlclient, it would be a lot of
work to make sure all of those projects gave OpenSSL an exception.