Re: confusing message in Debian gcc "bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem"

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:10:50PM +0200, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
> Ok, to say it in other words:
>
>    experimentally, a plugin which calls fatal_error (and this is definitely an
>    acceptable behavior for plugins) makes Debian GCC output the original message,
>    which is very confusing since the error is really called by a plugin.
>    I have no idea if a plugin problem is considered or not as a non reproducible bug.
>    But certainly, a fatal_error from a plugin's pass should not make GCC gives a
>    message which suggest hardware issues, while it is simply due to some plugin.
>
> It would be very nice if the error message contained the "plugin" word (at least
> when some plugin is used).

You should get that message only if the problem is not reproduceable, i.e.
the exit code, stdout or stderr of the compiler is different between the
several invocations the driver retries.  So, the plugin would need to emit
different errors or exit code in each case.  Is your plugin that broken?

	Jakub