Re: libreoffice, mingw-w64, gcc-mingw-w64 and gnat-4.6 on armhf

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:36:17AM +0000, peter green wrote:
> Libreoffice hasn't yet been built on armhf. I consider libreoffice
> to be a reasonablly important package and one that we need to get in
> before we can claim we have a reasonablly complete port.

[...]
> This (build-)dependency chain leaves me with a few questions
> 1: what is the current status of gnat-4.6 on armhf? does an upload
> look likely any time soon?
> 2: why does libreoffice need mingw-w64 in the first place?

libreoffice uses mingw-w64 to build a DLL, unowinreg.dll, which is
provided in the libreoffice-dev package. As I understand it the DLL
itself isn't used on Debian, but it is provided by the SDK because it
is supposed to be bundled with plugins which need to access the
registry, and therefore to be able to correctly build "shippable"
plugins using Debian the SDK packages need to provide the DLL.

> 3: why are we building an ada cross compiler for windows? is it just
> for completeness or was/is there an identified requirement?

It was requested; see #632375.

> 4: if we can't get an ada compiler on armhf in the near future would
> anyone consider it unreasonable to build gcc-mingw-w64 without ada
> suport on armhf so that libreoffice can be built?

I wouldn't; I can definitely upload a new version of gcc-mingw-w64
which drops Ada support on armhf.

Regards,

Stephen