Re: Increasing minimum 'i386' processor

Hi!

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 22:42:11 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> The i386 architecture was the first in Linux and in Debian, but we have
> long since dropped support for the original i386-compatible processors
> and now require a minimum of a 486-class processor.
>
> I think it is time to increase the minimum requirement to 586-class, if
> not for wheezy then immediately after.  (Later it should be increased
> further, and eventually i386 should be reduced to a partial architecture
> that may be installed on amd64 systems.)  This would allow the use of
> optimisations and new instructions throughout userland that improve
> performance for the vast majority of users.

It seems gcc has been targetting i586 instruction set by default since
gcc 4.4.0-1~exp1, although the triplet was not changed to match. On the
discussion regarding multiarch tuples I proposed we should switch the
triplet back to i386-linux-gnu to avoid this kind of confusion, fix the
internal inconsistency and the one with other architectures (which do
not track the base instruction set in the triplet) and so that we can
use them directly as the multiarch tuples.

For more details please see:

  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/02/msg00061.html>
  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/02/msg00039.html>

regards,