IA64: it seems -G0 does not make any effect (to solve short data segment overflowed issue).

while trying to build ghc on IA64 debian 5.0.3 with gcc 4.3.2, the compilation fails on linker complaining about short data segment overflowed. I've found simple test case for this from 2001 here:

When I tried proposed simple testcase in the bugreport above on my IA64 machine I got `short data segment overflowed' issue even when tried with -G0 (both compiling and linking).

kgardas@Babe:/tmp$ ./genstring
kgardas@Babe:/tmp$ gcc -G0 -c main.c f*.c
kgardas@Babe:/tmp$ gcc -G0 -o main main.o f*.o
/usr/bin/ld: main: short data segment overflowed (0x400080 >= 0x400000)
/usr/bin/ld: can't relax section: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Shall I report this is a gcc debian specific bug? IMHO this should work well if it's claim to do in 2001 already.