Re: the mangling of ‘va_list’ has changed in GCC 4.4

Hi debian-release,

There is a major problem with gcc 4.4 and armel - the ABI of va_list changed (for c++ libraries). We need to decide one of the following:

1) library package name rename (like c2a rename previously)

+ "the right thing to do"
+ partial upgrades work as expected
- Some hassle for !armel sid users while transition happens
- Quite a bit of extra work for many unrelated people (maintainers, ftp-masters..)

2) binNMU campaign

- during the upgrade armel sid users packages will be broken (some already are)
- even after, partial upgrades for armel users risk broken setups
+ does not disturb !armel users
+ no extra work for others but porters and release team

3) g++ downgrade or reverting to the old va_list mangling within g++4.4 for armel

- A bunch of libraries and binaries have already been compiled with the new g++
- I think this is a bad idea anyway

What way should we proceed? The list of supposedly affected packages follow (haven't had time to check myself).

Jakub Wilk wrote:
[Please Cc me, I'm not subscribed.]

Indeed, I believe that the following binary packages, which ship shared libraries, are affected (i.e. linking to them will cause problems):

beast
boinc-dev
coinor-libipopt0
csladspa