differences of gfortran on amd64 and i386

Hello list,

I have a rather funny and annoying problem with a third-party fortran
program. It is a non-free scientific program for some physical
calculations. I get different output values, if I compile and run the
same fortran code on amd64 or i386.

In fact, depending on the input file it exits with some error message in
i386, when the same file runs fine on amd64. This is even true of the
'test' file provided with the program. Therefore it seems there is
something wrong with my configuration or the compiler on i386.

I can run the binary compiled on i386 on amd64, but the binary compiled
on amd64 is different and yields different results. The i386-binary runs
without errors on amd64, however, when it exits on error on i386.

I have no idea, where to start looking for what is wrong here.

I run lenny on both systems.

I get the same behaviour for -i868 and -amd64 kernels on i386.

Thanks for any pointers!

Johannes

NB: please cc me.