gcc-snapshot vs. gcc-4.4

Hi GCC-Maintainers,

I wonder why there are both gcc-snapshot and gcc-4.4 packages in the Debian archive. I mean, as long as gcc-4.4 isn't officially released, the gcc-snapshot package actually contains a snapshot of gcc-4.4, and so does the gcc-4.4 package. Wouldn't it be sufficient to make the gcc-snapshot package only point to the gcc-4.${next} package in Debian via a dependency instead of providing a separate snapshot itself?

Cheers,
Fabian

--
Dipl.-Phys. Fabian Greffrath

Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Lehrstuhl für Energieanlagen und Energieprozesstechnik (LEAT)
Universitätsstr. 150, IB 3/134
D-44780 Bochum

Telefon: +49 (0)234 / 32-26334
Fax:     +49 (0)234 / 32-14227