Re: GCC 4.4 run-time license and non-GPLv3 compilers

On 10-04-2009, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Sylvain Le Gall:
>>> But in Debian, we compile with GCC.  And for the Int64 module,
>>> functionality from libgcc2.c gets compiled into the binary.  (This is
>>> just the example I've verified.)
>> Int64 module is under LGPL + static link exception (and everything
>> related to runtime library). Does it change anything ?
> No, I don't think so.  The compiler license doesn't change as a
> result.
>> Could you point us to the precise location of "the functionality from
>> libgcc2.c" ?
> byterun/ints.c, function caml_int64_div, the I64_div macro.  This is
> expanded into a plain division operator, and that is compiled into a
> run-time library call by GCC.

I64_div is a function defined either in byterun/int64_emul.h o
byterun/int64_native.h. Reading both I64_div, I don't see any specific
GCC usage.

Could you be more precise ? I must admit I don't understand at all this
issue !

At least in int64_emul.h, I don't see anything specific to GCC (the
same code will perfectly fit with MSVC, which is what it does).

Sylvain Le Gall