Re: [RFC] [Cross Toolchain] Multiarch and sysrooted toolchain

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:

> Another issues i am thinking about are the emul/ia32-linux i believe
> that is scheduled to disapear soon and we are also forgetting mips
> tri-arch.

This is still hardcoded in the ia64 kernel. So at least a link for it
must remain at least on ia64.

Apart from that we the ia32-libs maintainers have decided years ago
not to do any complicated transition or anything on it but to phase it
out when multiarch dirs come to live. It will be gone when it is empty.

> I have updated http://wiki.debian.org/toolchain-multiarch with posible
> paths, please feel free to edit.

It says:

| Binutils
|
| Binutils has to look for libraries in /lib/$(host triplet) and
| /usr/lib/$(host triplet), in addition to the standard paths on the
| architecture.

Last year I asked upstream to include those in the default linker
script and that was vetoed. The reason given was that it is GCCs job
to define the default library paths and not LDs. The fact that LD does
already define a ton of other paths and even keeps adding them even if
they are wrong has been completly ignored.

If you scroll down in the "patch" link to the BTS entry you see

Tags added: wontfix Request was from Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:15:09 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Changed Bug title to `gcc: please add support for multiarch' from `binutils: please add support for multiarch'. Request was from Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:31:51 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Tags removed: wontfix Request was from Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:33:11 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

Bug reassigned from package `binutils' to `gcc-4.3'. Request was from Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> to control@bugs.debian.org. (Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:33:13 GMT) Full text and rfc822 format available.

to reflect upstreams decision and lower a new patch. No responce from
the gcc maintainers since the patch (Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:16:48
+0200).

MfG
        Goswin