Re: [alpha, hppa] GCC-4.3 as the default compilers for lenny?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 04:54:29PM +0000, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:15:11AM +0000, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > > Isn't it risky for partial upgrades from etch ? Shouldn't we wait for
> > > lenny+1 to revert this ?
> >
> >   I second that, please don't revert the patch until lenny+1. FWIW I
> > believe the release team as a whole wanted the patch to be kept as well,
> > but I'll let the other members correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> that's fine with me, as long as
>
>  - the release team commits to maintain this patch
>  - the release team commits to check every bug report filed against
>    gcc with an upstream build and report back to the Debian BTS
>  - the release team shows that it is able to do so, and has done so
>    in the past.

  This will last up to the lenny release, and the toolchain is to be
freezed next week. So I don't

> IMO the current opinions "Isn't it risky", "I second that" only look
> for the risk of running an unfixed kernel (if at all), not of shipping
> a compiler diverting in code generation from upstream.

I'm sure all of this is because of the CLD patch:
1,5M	gcc-4.2-4.2.3/debian/patches

> It has been pointed out that this bug is known to affect one package,
> which is not needed for an upgrade. Are you aware of others?

  Yes, any package that runs memset/memmove in a signal handler. I
happened to do that on software at work, those are not open source, but
I would fail to see why we should not support them properly.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit