Re: GCC 4.2 transition

Jurij Smakov a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 10:16:27AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> The plans for the GCC 4.2 transition were described in
>>
>>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/06/msg00008.html
>>
>> Does any port still need to stick with GCC 4.1 for a while?  Feedback
>> from hppa, mips*, s390, powerpc, amd64, i386 porters doesn't show
>> objections against the transition.
>
> According to Bastian Blank, gcc 4.2 currently produces broken sparc
> kernel images.
>
> Another thing which comes to mind: we have recently announced that
> sparc32 machines are not going to be supported in lenny. Transition to
> the new gcc version seems like a perfect time to turn on the
> ultrasparc specific optimizations in gcc by default. Do you think it
> is feasible? I currently have no idea what breakage such a change
> might cause.

We (glibc maintainers) plan to do a change in glibc first. We will drop
libc6-sparcv9 and change the optimizations of libc6 to SPARC v9 from
SPARC v8.

Doing it on the glibc first have the advantage that we can put a check
in the preinst script to stop the installation on a SPARC v8 system. As
libc6 is installed on all systems, that should prevent system breakages
with SIGILL on random packages.

This is already implemented in the SVN, and we plan to do the upload on
Sunday.

Aurelien