Re: gcc-4.2 upload

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> just a question about the recent checkins, are those really necessary?
> seems to be something automatic, can those be avoided?

It is svk's fault :( it seems to have gotten confused while managing
the properties it uses to track merges.  The last time this happened
was 5 months ago (see r1731 and the surrounding commits for an
example).  I finally noticed unexplained differences between my local
branch and the mirrored branch (even after syncing several times), so
I deleted my svk repository and created a fresh mirror this month
before starting work on gcc-4.2.  All went fine so long as I worked in
only one branch, but svk got confused again when I started working on
gcc-defaults to fix #431103.

Moreover, svk asks for my password for every commit, and I can't tell
beforehand whether the commit will be "right" or not.  It is very
frustrating and consistently violates the Law of Least Astonishment.
I'll ditch my repository and create it anew for the third time, but I
suspect I'll have more problems in the future.

Did I mention I hated Subversion and svk?  Why don't we just migrate
to a proper distributed version control system?  Please?

CCing debian-gcc@, as I think a choice of VCS concerns the other
maintainers as well.

--
Ludovic Brenta.