Re: Used apt-get to obtain gcc-4.1 but it seems to favour x86-64 architecture

Rob1weld@aol.com writes:
> Please check / fix the version on your archive. I am going to remove it  from
> my HD and apt-get a new compiled version from elsewhere.

you're welcome to do so; we don't have any problems building the gcc
packages for debian; when building GCC on a debian system, you have to
be aware that

 - debian installs 64bit libs in to lib, not lib64; 32bit lib into
   lib32, not lib.

 - you should configure with --disable-multilib if you don't have all
   required build dependencies installed for the bi-arch.

You could reference the debian build bits and patches that debian
applies to the GCC packages and see what you are probably missing.

  Matthias