Building cross-gcc packages for non-debian archs

Hi!

As I see, currently cross-gcc packages can be built only for debian
architectures, sinse debian/rules.defs calls dpkg-architecture for
cross-building.

But since the eCos embedded OS is in the Debian repository, it would
be very nice to support it providing the ability to built cross-gcc
packages for it.

The eCos homepage (http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html)
recommends to build GCC a bit different from the usual Debian GCC:
 1) It recommends to compile with newlib
 2) eCos supports broader architectures set than debian
 3) Some other issues make people to use a separate cross-compiler for eCos.

So, I have several questions to the Debian GCC Maintainers:
1) Is there anybody already working on this problem?
2) Does the Debian GCC Maintainers team have some kind of position,
preventing support for the non-debian crosscompiler building?
3) If I develop a patch set adding the ability to build eCos
cross-gcc packages, do I have any chances that you include it into the
main line.

PS: Please, include me on the CC-list when you answer this message.

--
 Max Dmitrichenko