Re: gcc-4.1 [gfdl] documentation packages for non-free

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 12:06:02AM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > I've created gcc-4.1-doc-non-dfsg package, intended for non-free. This
> > package builds several binary packages (cpp-4.1-doc, gcc-4.1-doc,
> > gfortran-4.1-doc, tree;ang-4.1-doc), that contain all files - man
> > pages, info and html docs - that have been in gcc-4.1 4.1.1-10 package
> > [last version before documentation removal], but are not in the
> > current 4.1.1ds1-13 package.
> >
> > I'm going to upload this to non-free.
> > But before that, I'd like interested people to look into the package,
> > and give any comments they feel appropriate.
> > Currently, I've put the package to
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~nikita/debian/gcc-doc/
>
> Why is this a native Debian package? I know that the tarball it is based
> on is not one distributed as such by upstream, but it is based on files
> from an upstream source. The way you do it now, you can't see what you
> have changed in the documentation, because there is no diff.gz file.

If I separate files taken from upstream into '.orig.tar.gz', where should I
place Makefile that I wrote to build documentation?
Since this file is not from upstream, looks like should place it
to .diff.gz
But if I do that, .orig.tar.gz file will be of little interest itself,
without .diff.gz

If the only reasoning to split is informationl, I guess a README file in
debian/, plus usage of dpatch if any patches will be added, will serve the
same purpose better.

Also, with currently implemented versioning scheme, new -doc packages get
versions that dpkg will consider higher than old -doc packages that are
removed from archive, but stay on users systems. So, if users have
non-free in their sources, they will get new packages transparently.

One more question for all - maybe better to set Maintainer field of these
packages to debian-gcc@lists.debian.org ?

Nikita