Re: cross compiler for i386 stable

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to build a cross compiler for sarge on i386 with the new
> gcc-4.0? I've a powerpc with unstable and a i386 with stable, for which I
> need to build some packages. Is this possible? Can you give me some
> hints how I can compile gcc with the libc6 from sarge? Can I simply edit
> the control file and change the version number?

gcc-4.0 cross-compiler, hosted on 386 and building for powerpc, should work
and build packages (with help of dpkg-cross); however, this works only with
post-sarge versions.

Reverse won't work I think. Some time ago, in pre-sarge days, I tried to
make i386 target to work, but was confused with the state of biarch
(package that provided 64bit libc on i386 at that time, made high use of
diversions and was not dpkg-cross'able because of that); so gcc-3.3 built
and worked, but not 3.4 or 4.0 which configure for biarch on i386 target.

Maybe it's time to retry?..