Re: Serious issues with linux-2.6 (was: Re: Scheduling linux-2.6 2.6.18-3)

Steve Langasek writes:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 01:58:53PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Bastian Blank (waldi@debian.org) [061012 12:41]:
>
> > > What should we do with them? Finally disable alpha and hppa(64)?
>
> > I don't think it is an option to ship Debian without hppa and alpha
> > kernels.
>
> > So, the only two options seem to me:
> > a) someone fixes these issues, or
> > b) we ship with what we have in etch now, that is 2.6.17.
>
> The gcc-4.0 build-dependency is not new in 2.6.18, the current kernel in
> testing has the same issue.  And I can see no reason to treat this as RC.

some weeks ago, I asked what compiler version would be used for kernel
compiles; I got the impression that the kernel team did want to switch
to 4.1.

Even if the kernel cannot be built with 4.1, it would be nice to have
bug reports. I'm not aware of any alpha related reports, although it's
not my pet arch.

I'm still planning not to build g++-4.0 from the 4.0 sources, now that
all packages are built using 4.1 or using 3.4 as a fallback. We'll
need the 4.0 source anyway to build libgcc2 on hppa and glibc on the
hurd.

  Matthias