Re: mips(el) n32 and n64 host triplet

Thiemo Seufer a écrit :
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:23:35AM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

Hi all!

While thinking of multiarch, I remarked that there is no host triplet
for mips(el) using the n32 or the n64 ABIs. Both of them use mips64-linux-gnu, at least it is what is done in the glibc, the
difference being done on the -mabi=n32 or -mabi=n64 option.

Multiarch is based on the fact there is no namespace collision of the
libraries are installed into (/usr)/lib/${host-triplet}.

Does host triplets have already been planned for these two possible
future ports?

I gave it some thought. Currently we only have mips64{,el}-linux-gnu,
which, to make matters worse, defaults to a n32 compiler with
multilibed o32/n32/n64 libraries. IMHO the best thing to do is to
introduce a completely separate set of triplets for the more advanced
single-ABI mips configurations. E.g:

mipsn32-linux-gnu
mipsn32el-linux-gnu
mipsn64-linux-gnu
mipsn64el-linux-gnu

The distinction between mips64 and mips_n_64 is a bit subtle, but
I don't see a better way while keeping the scheme relatively simple.

Comments?

That looks sane to me. If those names are accepted by everybody, I think it would be good to add them in config.{guess,sub}, both in Debian and in upstream. My experience in the GNU/kFreeBSD ports shows that it may a long time to propagate to the packages, so it may be a good idea to do that part now.

Then it would be possible to add them to dpkg, so that for example 'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE' returns 'mipsn64-linux-gnu'.