Building cross compilers

Hi all,

I'm trying to help Haakan Ardo with the toolchain-source package
and I'm having trouble building a cross compiler. First I must
say that I'm not yet 100% done with integrating the 4.0.3 line
of gcc into the toolchain-source package and that is why I need
your help.

I can build binutils and gdb for most of the debian targets. I'll
fix those problems once I get at least one target built as cross
platform gcc.

Now to my problems (I've decided to take m68k as my first target):

1) When I configure gcc to build a cross compiler, I first get a build
dependency against libc6-dev-m68k-cross. This sounds a bit odd as
I'm not building a compiler that's going to run on a m68k-linux but
a compiler that going to build for a m68k-linux target. My question
here is: Is tpkg-make (the tool that sets up the build stage for a
cross copmiler) missconfiguring gcc or should I patch the control.m4
file to remove the -m68k-cross part or should I first build the
libc6-dev-m68k-cross package?

2) If I patch the control file to not depend on libc6-dev-m68k-cross
and continue the build process, then I get quite far. I think that
the entire gcc has been built and that I fail to build "libgcov".
To be specific; I'm missing include files when trying to compile
unwind-dw2.c (stack unwinding in dwarf 2?) namely pthread.h, and
unistd.h. When looking at the command line it seems most include
files should be in /usr/m68k-linux/include and
/usr/m68k-linux/sys-include, but these two directories do not
exist. I figure this is due to me removing the libc6-dev-m68k-cross
dependency to get past problem 1 above.

How do I create the libc6-dev-m68k-cross package without having
a m68k-cross gcc?

Many thanks
/Daniel Widenfalk