Re: libstdc++ configuratrion

Steve Langasek writes:
> >  * Rebuild these libraries and depending packages. Note that
> >    partial upgrades won't work with this procedure. To make this work, we
> >    would have to change the package name for all libraries affected.
>
> What do you propose as the new name for these library packages?

somebody suggested a c2a suffix.

> (Apparently, these will then be the *real* "c2" libraries... but also
> incompatible with those already shipped by other Debian-derived distros
> under that name, such as Ubuntu...)  Do we have any notion of how many libs
> are affected by this?

about 150. attached is a list of source packages, which either define
mt_alloc symbols or reference them. libraries depending on kdelibs do
not have to be renamed (about 30/40).

Andreas Barth writes:
> Two questions:
> What are the depending packages are affected? Also, can you give a rough
> overview over the affected packages?

there are currently about 1700 binary packages depending on
libstdc++6, 150 library source packages and 182 app source packages
have references to mt_alloc symbols.

Florian Weimer writes:
> * Matthias Klose:
>
> > The change does not have an effect on symbols exported from
> > libstdc++, but it does have an effect on symbols exported by
> > libraries which use containers (using an allocator) from the
> > template headers.
>
> Does it change the internal representation of std::string, or some
> other template instantiation provided by libstdc++?

I don't see a change to the internal representation of std::string,
I'm forwarding this upstream.

  Matthias