latest version of gcc?

Dear All,

Which is the latest version of gcc available to debian via apt-get? The gcc.gnu.org site indicates that the latest gcc is 4.0.2 whereas if I apt-get install gcc I get that 3.3.5 is the latest version.

I'm not actually hung up about having the latest version. I'm trying to learn how to write and compile modules but I'm getting errors even in hello world programs. I just want to be sure that I'm not using a compiler that's too old.

Regards, M.