Re: Please reenable GCJ on mips

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 03:18:23PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> What I keep hearing is that no one has reported the bug(s), and nobody except
> Thiemo Seufer has even described it/them adequately.  This is a bug or bugs
> which is not documented in the documentation or bug databases for glibc,
> binutils, gcc, Debian, or anywhere else.  It's apparently a substantial and
> reproducible bug which hits any library or executable with really large
> numbers of exported symbols.  The GCC documentation suggests a fix (xgot)
> which doesn't actually work.

No, Nathanael, this is not what you keep _hearing_.  It's what you keep
_saying_.  I'm aware that you seem to spend a lot of time listening to
yourself and I've gotten quite tired of hearing you repeat yourself.

It doesn't have a clear entry in any bugzilla because there's a lot of
confusion over various bits of (A) whether particular things are bugs,
or (B) whose bugs they are.  But the people who have encountered it,
which is not limited strictly to Thiemo obviously, are familiar with
the problem.

> Now, I understand this sort of stuff not being dealt with for a while.  But
> the nature of the problem has supposedly been known for a year or more, and
> so a little documentation of "known limitations" is really the least I'd
> expect.

It's free software.  You're welcome to figure out the problem,
preferably with less insulting the reviewers, and submit a patch to the
documentation.

> m68k is known to be in a situation where serious toolchain bugs are not
> reported upstream.  I thought previously that it was the only such
> architecture.

I'm pretty sure this has been reported upstream.  It's not in the bug
tracking system upstream.  That's not the same thing.  Who do you think
would fix it?  Hint, probably me or Thiemo.  No one else has been
interested in working on this stuff in the past.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC