To: <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:08 PM
Subject: Compiling Kernel with Dynamic Module Loading Enabled

Hi All,

What options do I need to use to compile a kernel that doesn't build the modules into it, but instead allows me to use modconf to select modules as needed? I've rebuilt the kernel (2.4.18) about 20 times trying to get just the right combination, and every time I get it wrong, I get a kernel panic and have to start over from scratch. Is there a better way to tweak and test the kernel than to reinstall from the CD?

Thanks,

Tony Vandiver