Re: C++ ABI transition for etch

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

>   * i.e. sparc and hppa. I.e.: hppa libgcc1 (SJLJ) -> libgcc2
>     (Dwarf2) transition. I.e.: sparc ABI change from 3.3 to 3.4.

 The SPARC ABI changes should only relate to complex numbers or
less used parts of the SPARC64 ABI.  Mathmatical packages probably
should be NMU'd once glibc has been compiled with GCC 4.0 for SPARC.

> - Help! My package doesn't build with GCC 4.0
>
>   First search for the error in your package, not in GCC. g++-4.0 is
>   more strict to the C++ standard than g++-3.3, and as such, things
>   not written in standard C++, but written in an "extended subset" of
>   it, using gnu extension classes that are no longer supported. See
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html#cplusplus and
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html

 gcc-4.0 is also stricter in what it accepts.  However, the ABI for
C programs hasn't changed.

--
Thanks,
Jim