Re: Compiling Debian from source, with GCC 3.4.2

Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

>> I could patch each package as I go, but I really want to know if there is
>> any effort to "migrate" to GCC 3.4, as there a lot more c++ packages
>> with similarly cryptic errors.
>
> Currently the main focus is on releasing sarge, with gcc-3.3 as default
> compiler. I expect the migration to 3.4/4.0 to start soon afterwards.
> Most packages should pose litte problem, at least the amd64 port did
> an alternative tree with gcc-3.4.

The delay will come from making a clean transition. That means
renaming every c++ code containing package at a minimum, just like the
c102 names on the last transition. And those have to be done in waves
following the Build-Depends.

For a private archive and gcc-3.4/4.0 test you can skip that and just
make sure you update all packages as you go along.

MfG
        Goswin