gcc-3.4 in sarge?

Greetings,

I was looking through debian-gcc and debian-java for threads on gcc-3.4
inclusion in sarge, and came across "gcc-3.4 to [sic] unstable for
amd64" with a post from jgoerzen:

---

> 2. will gcc-3.4 be included in sarge?

Highly doubtful.

> 3. is pure64 going to be included in sarge?

No.

>    gcc-3.4 will become default after the release, why should we not already
>    build everything with gcc-3.4, since it produces faster code?

I'm not sure that performance is itself a good enough rationale to
justify breaking from all the other archs in sid.

---

I agree that it's wise to be conservative with regard to amd64, and we
certainly don't want to break anything by changing the default compiler.
And performance is indeed a weak justification for such a major
infrastructure change.

But why not put 3.4 in along with 3.3, the way 3.0 was in woody, such
that certain packages have the option of using 3.4?  Is 3.4 really so
unstable that it must be excluded from sarge?

In terms of motivations, my primary one is Java, where including 3.4
would allow a large number of packages (possibly including my own babel,
depending on its dependencies) to move to main and run on many more
architectures.

[Please CC me as I'm not subscribed.]

Thanks,

-Adam P.