Re: 3.3.4 status, and some questions

Joe Buck writes:
> I took a look at bugzilla and a first snapshot of what the release notes
> would be like, if we released now, appear below.
>
> I have some questions:
>
> - I successfully built 3.3.3 on an ia64 GNU/Linux box and did not observe
>   a bootstrap failure.  Was 13918 something that only a very few people
>   observed, or was it common?

I couldn't reproduce this anymore, and it was reproducible on some
machines only.

> - Is 14302 the bug that caused XFree86 4.3 builds to fail on Debian ARM?

CCed Phil Blundell

> - Are there other bugs that the Debian folks have patched in their
>   gcc-3.3 that we don't have in the FSF 3_3_branch?  (That's why I'm
>   copying you, Matthias).

The debian-gcc subversion repository is currently down, so I copied
the patches applied to the upstream source to
http://people.debian.org/~doko/gcc-patches/. Hope this doesn't get too
off-topic... The patches prefixed with an architecture are tested only
on that architecture.

arm-10730.dpatch:
2003-05-15  Philip Blundell  <philb@gnu.org>

	PR target/10730
	* config/arm/arm.c (adjacent_mem_locations): Reject offsets
	involving invalid constants.

arm12527.dpatch:
2004-01-14  Richard Earnshaw  <rearnsha@arm.com>

	PR bootstrap/12527
	* config.gcc (arm*-*-linux*): Don't include unknown-elf.h in tm_file.
	Move linux-gas.h and linux-elf.h before aout.h.
	* arm/arm.h (INITIALIZE_TRAMPOLINE): Only define if not already.
	* arm/linux-elf.h (SUBTARGET_CPU_DEFAULT): Define.

arm-233633.dpatch:
Phil Blundell:
	Patch for invalid QImode insn resulting from HImode reload on ARMv3

arm-common.dpatch:
Phil Blundell:
	delete ASM_OUTPUT_ALIGNED_COMMON from arm/elf.h, since it outputs
	the alignment in bits not bytes.

arm-gotoff.dpatch:
Phil Blundell:
	use GOTOFF not GOT relocs for .LCn and other local symbols;
	don't use gotoff for non-static functions, even if defined locally

arm-ldm.dpatch:
Phil Blundell:
	try harder to avoid ldm in function epilogues

arm-tune.dpatch:
Phil Blundell:
	ARM patch for default tuning for XScale

libtool-rpath.dpatch:
2003-03-10  Andreas Schwab  <schwab at suse dot de>
	With the introduction of multi-os-directory the libdir specification in
	*.la files have /. appended to $(libdir).  This confuses libtool when it
	tries to find out whether to add -rpath, because it only matches literally
	against sys_lib_dlsearch_path members.  Tested on i386-linux.

m68k-subreg.dpatch:
2003-04-07  Roman Zippel  <zippel@linux-m68k.org>

	* gcc/final.c (alter_subreg): Adjust stack offset for a paradoxical
	SUBREG, when it's pushed on the stack.

m68k-update2.dpatch:
#177840 / PR9812
2003-06-27  James E Wilson  <wilson@tuliptree.org>
	* rtl.h (mem_for_const_double): Delete prototype.
	* varasm.c (mem_for_const_double): Delete function.
	* config/m68k/hp320.h, config/m68k/linux.h, config/m68k/m68kelf.h,
	config/m68k/m68kv4.h, config/m68k/netbsd-elf.h
	(LEGITIMATE_PIC_OPERAND_P): Delete duplicate definitions.
	* config/m68k/m68k.h (LEGITIMATE_CONSTANT_P): Disallow XFmode.
	(LEGITIMATE_PIC_OPERAND_P): Delete CONST_DOUBLE tests.
	* config/m68k/m68k.md (movxf): Add reload_in_progress guard. Add
	comment about confused support for XFmode constants.

m68k-update3.dpatch:
2004-01-15  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>
        PR bootstrap/13562
        * config/m68k/m68k.c (output_move_const_into_data_reg): Clear cc
        status for NOTB/NOTW/NEGW methods.

The absence of this patch doesn't result in a bootstrap error.

mips-branch-fix.dpatch:
	Fix #207915 (PR11716).
	Make GCC think that the maximum length of a short branch is
	64K instead of 128K.  It's a big hammer, but it works.

powerpc-pthread-spec.dpatch:
	link libraries with -pthread on powerpc-linux

s390-ifcft.dpatch:
Gerhard Tonn <gt@debian.org>
	backport of ifcvt patch
	see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-04/msg01072.html

s390-nonlocal-goto.dpatch:
Gerhard Tonn <gt@debian.org>
	nonlocal goto patch

all other patches are Debian specific configure/build/install patches:
- build bi-arch compilers, defaulting to 32bit
- change cpu defaults for code generation
- debian-hurd and debian-netbsd changes
- turn on -mieee by default for alpha-linux
- some patches to build gpc.
- renaming of info files
- libffi and libjava support for hppa (doesn't break anything else,
  but needs to be submitted for mainline first).

> Ideally I'd like to see Debian sarge be able to come out with a compiler
> that is as close to 3.3.4 as possible.

that will be difficult. see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/debian-devel-announce-200402/msg00009.html
I'll build a new package this weekend, then lets what our release
people think about "Last changes" for another update.

	Matthias