PATHS

Hi,

Does anyone knows what's the name of the environment variable that controls the GCC libraries path ( include and lib )? How can I change it permanently?
One more question: I'm still learning about installing packages, etc... in Debian. I have, in disk, a new compressed version of GCC; I do I install it?
I think that first ( obviously ) I must decompress it: tar ?what switches? gcc-0-0-0.tar.gz. What do I do next in order that the installation overrides the previous one?

This is quite urgent. Please, someone, answer as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Rui Fernandes