Re: debian crossgcc

Hello

> For gcc-3.3.4-6sarge1 on 'sarge', I get patch errors when I run the
> 'debian/rules control' command.
> For gcc-3.4.1 on 'sarge', the patches apply, but the subsequent
> 'dpkg-buildpackage' appears to configure a native compiler (I didn't
> wait for it to finish building).

Thank you for your report.

Things used to work a few months ago, and then I was on a vacation and
missed the moment when something became broken.

Unfortunately, currently cross-gcc building maintaining is happening in
such way that I discover a problem in already-uploaded gcc source package
and then send a patch. It would be much better if I'll have a chance to
test before upload, to avoid such breakages. I'll try to find a way to do
so.

Anyway, 3.3.4-9 looks to build ok for me on x86 host, with all debian archs
as targets. Debs are available for download from my repository at
http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~nikita/debian/
I have a minor patch that enables libgcc when building cross targets, and
handles newer dpkg-cross method to strip non-native binaries, but (until
dpkg-cross in debian archive is updated) it should work even without it.
If it does not work for you, please provide more information.

I'll look at sarge version and at 3.4 in the nearest future.

> I have tried i686->alpha and alpha->mips crosspackages.
> I have cross-binutils and relevant cross-libraries installed.
> The GCC_TARGET is set.

Is GCC_TARGET exported?

Building on non-x86 host is a very interesting test case; I've never tried
it because I don't have access to hardware. If you may help on debbugging
any issues there, it wold be really good.

> Oh, btw: dpkg-cross seems to conflict with debhelper, which is a
> build-requirement of gcc.

grrrr.
I know. It's bad because dpkg-cross actually needs debhelper to do debian
package cross-compilation.
It is the result of debhelper maintained being impatient and not giving us
enough time to fix dpkg-cross. In past, some miscommunication happened,
resulting in dh_strip diversion by dpkg-cross that debhelper maintained
doesn't like. Currently, another technical solution is implemented for
cross-stripping in dpkg-cross, and the diversion in question is no longer
needed. Code is already written and tested, just new version is not yet
uploaded. After it will be in debian archive, we will ask debhelper
maintainer to remove the conflict.

Nikita