Recompiling gcc - g77

Hi,

I'm new to the list so if I'm off topic please let me know...

I' m using Debian woody and I need to recompile g77 (or the gcc package) and use it to compile a program that needs a little modification in the g77 source, to compile properly.
I've tried to apt-get both g77 and gcc with the commands:

apt-get source g77
apt-get source gcc

but no sources seems to be available for download for the gcc package, nor for g77. Anyway other sources packages can I request are regulary downloaded, e.g. gedit or postgresql etc..so my apt databese is not broken. I think I have to follow a particular procedure to recompile 'that compiler' and i'm searching for information but without results. Do someone can help me or point me to some documentation to resolve this problem?

Thanks,       Michele.