Patch incompatibility problems

Hi!

I noticed a problem with compatibility between patches in the Debian gcc
packages. Patches to be applied are selected in debian/rules.patch using
different criteria. Normaly this is fine, but depending on multiple factors
we might end up with a selection of patches that won't apply cleanly, and
this causes FTBFS.

For example, if foo.dpatch is only applied when building libfoo is enabled,
and bar.dpatch is always required but won't apply cleanly unless foo.dpatch
has been applied, when libfoo is disabled it's a no-go.

I recommend to switch into a model in which all patches, including
porting ones, are non-disruptive and hence can be applied unconditionaly.
This way we avoid all the trouble with patch conflicts which sounds really
like a can of worms to me.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)