Re: powerpc64 gcc compiler ...

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:44:16PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > It builds simple binaries without problems. But it didn't build the
> > > biarch toolchain, so it was of no use for me.
> > >
> > > After a bit of investigation, i found out that :
> > >
> > >   --target=powerpc64-linux --with-cpu=default32
> >
> > both s390 and sparc build the 32bit compiler and patch gcc/config.gcc
> > to include the 64bit specific Makefile chunks. At least this installs
> > things in a <arch>-linux subdirectory, not <arch>-linux64. I don't
> > know if there other changes building this way. Look at the -biarch
> > patches in debian/patches.
>
> Huh, notice that this is gcc-3.4, which i am told support powerpc biarch
> without need for patching. Indeed, if i look at the s390-biarch patch, i
> only get :
>

> While if i consult src/gcc/config.c, i find that i already have this :
>
> powerpc64-*-linux*)
> 	 tmake_file="rs6000/t-fprules t-slibgcc-elf-ver t-linux rs6000/t-ppccomm rs6000/t-linux64"
>
> So, it should be ok for powerpc64. That said, for non-64 powerpc i have :
>
> powerpc-*-linux*)
> 	tmake_file="rs6000/t-fprules rs6000/t-ppcos t-slibgcc-elf-ver t-linux rs6000/t-ppccomm"
>
> So the t-linux64 is clearly missing. Now, i don't know which of the two
> cases will be chosen with the above options. The ppc64 guys tell me that
> the above is enough in gcc-3.4 to enable ppc32 and ppc64 biarch, and to
> make ppc32 the default, so i somehow guess that the first one is chosen,
> right ?
>
> > Including your patches is ok, enable it by default not, as lib64c6-dev
> > is missing as a build dependency. To disable the runtime lib64raries
> > you do not want add a patch like sparc-config-ml or s390-config-ml.
>
> I have difficulties parsing this.

Mmm, the build done when enabling a few stuff to make it build a ppc64
target failed (after 7 hours :() because it failed to build the
lib64gcc1 package :

dh_installdirs -plib64gcc1 \
        usr/share/doc/lib64gcc1 \
        lib64
install -d debian/tmp/lib64
mv debian/tmp/usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 debian/tmp/lib64/.
mv: ne peut évaluer `debian/tmp/usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1': Aucun fichier
ou répertoire de ce type

Well, sorry for the french message, i will build with LANG=C in the
future. The translation is evident though: no such file or directory :)

Anyway, in light of this, i guess what is happening, is that since i am
building a biarch compiler, there should be no lib64gcc1 package, but
only the libgcc1 one (which should maybe provide lib64gcc1 ?).

Sorry for being a bit naive perhaps, but this is the first time i ever
looked in the gcc build stuff.

Friendly,

Sven Luther