Re: [moseley@hank.org: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check]

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 16:25:39 -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> [I'm not subscribed to debian-gcc]
>
> I posted this o debian-user a few days back.  I'm wondering if cpp needs
> to depend on g++.

I see no reason to. The preprocessor typically isn't used as a stand-alone
application. It is typically called from a compiler frontend (which has the
appropriate dependency on cpp) and is ocassionally called to process things
other than C(++) code, like .Xresources files, which don't need a compiler
dependency.

> Subject: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>
> moseley@laptop:~$ echo "#include <stdio.h>" > foo.cc
> moseley@laptop:~$ /lib/cpp foo.cc
> cpp: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory

You're trying to preprocess C++ code without having the C++ compiler (and
presumably header files) installed. That's a highly a-typical scenario and
one in which you wouldn't get very far even if cpp were modified to deal
with cc1plus not being available when preprocessing C++ code.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig