Installation broke..

Recently I tried to compile a (c++) package which then borked at me that
libstdc++-devel was not installed.
After fishing the application that failed from the config.log I distilled
that the following c++ application does not compile for me:
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

    int main () {
      string astring="Hello World";
      astring.remove(0, 6);
      return 0;
    }

I removed any and all gcc, g++, and libstd stuff from my machine and did new
apt-get's for g++ gcc etc. (all from testing)
So I now have a pretty default gcc 3.3.1 installation, INCLUDING
libstdc++5-3.3-dev (3.3.1-0pre0), but I still cant compile the above simple
application.

    zander@dumas:arts$g++ test.cpp
    test.cpp: In function `int main()':
    test.cpp:6: error: `remove' undeclared (first use this function)
    test.cpp:6: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
       function it appears in.)

Is this a known problem?  Do you have any suggestions to further investigate?
Any help is appreciated..

Please cc answers; as I am not subscribed to the list.

--
Thomas Zander