Re: default CPU target for ix86 based ports

Jan-Benedict Glaw writes:
> Would Debian accept two ix86 distributions? One i386 and, say, i[56]86?

No, unless you can explain why you need to run KDE, eclipse and
openoffice on an i386. This has to be a subset due to bandwidth and
disk limitations.

> I'd even volunteer to rebuild all the packages... What's needed for
> that? Basically some changes to dpkg --print-architecture, if I'm
> right... As well as changing a number of configure statements...

rebuilding is not the problem. come up with a plan to introduce the
new architecture and how packages can be built for both archs without
many changes to the packaging. prove your plan by setting up a
mini-archive of such a restricted/subset architecture. If you have to
make changes to packages collect these patches and submit these as bug
report after your plan has been accepted (at least that's the way, how
the amd and bsd ports did it).

Maybe you should move the discussion to some other list, maybe -devel.

	Matthias