Re: license of generated info docs (GFDL?) and man pages

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Looking at the source of the gcc docs, the GFDL-1.2 is mentioned. In
> the generated html docs and in the generated man pages you can re-find
> the copyright, but it's absent of the generated info docs. Some
> questions:

I believe these are best posed to RMS himself.

> Background: Debian doesn't see the GFDL (and especially the Invariant
> sections) as a free license. [...]
> See http://bugs.debian.org/193787 for more information.

Recent requests by RMS made me aware of this issue (again) and I am
currently studying details.

However, I agree that the GFDL does not qualify as a free license in the
presence of invariant sections etc. because unlike the restrictions the
GPL imposes, in the case of the GFDL these are not needed to enforce
permanent freeness.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/