Re: GCC 3.3 release criteria

Kaveh R. Ghazi writes:
>  > From: Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de>
>  >
>  > Kaveh R. Ghazi writes:
>  > >  > From: Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de>
>  > >  >
>  > >  > The Debian GNU/Linux platform should be changed to 3.0 (released last
>  > >  > summer). This is still glibc-2.2.5 based. Is one of the other distros
>  > >  > mentioned glibc-2.3.1 based?
>  > >  > 	Matthias
>  > >
>  > > The file is now checked in, if you would submit your suggested change
>  > > in patch form, that would be better.
>

> Thanks Matthias, but seeing your patch two things occur to me:
>
> One is we don't have a "tester" for x86 Debian (of any version), would
> you like to volunteer to be it?

yes, then I will "test" it on Debian unstable as well. Testresults are
already sent for each sucessful build to gcc-testresults. This
includes all current linux architectures (alpha, arm,  hppa, i386,
ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc) and netbsd-i386.
No testresults are sent for the Hurd due to a missing/non functional
ulimit implementation.

We apply some patches to the packages, for which descriptions are
included into the test reports. These patches include

- "installation" patches (build versioned info files, find headers
  for gc enabled objc library, etc)

- patches sent to gcc-patches.

- In libf2c libjava/libltdl libobjc libstdc++-v3 zlib, autoreconf --force
  is run to support mips and mipsel.

Some patches are submitted, but not yet reviewed.

For further testing the applications mentioned on the page I'll ask
the Debian package maintainers (if these packages are packaged for
Debian). Are the versions of these packages still valid?

> Second, the "tester" for sparc Debian is Ben Collins and it's not
> clear if he plans to use 3.0 or if he remains committed to testing at
> all.  I quick search of the testsuite results list shows no postings
> by him, but I think we should check before proceeding.  (I've CC:ed
> him on this message, hopefully he'll respond.)

There is another "GNU/Linux" target (armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu)
mentioned as secondary platform. Maybe Phil Blundell can test this
one? At least the test results are already sent for arm-linux as well
(although the bootstrap is currently broken).

	Matthias